What is Botox?
Botox is an FDA approved drug doctors have been using since 2002 to reduce wrinkles and other facial creases created by movement and aging. At Ascends Med Spa, our clinicians are trained in advanced injection techniques that treat various cosmetic and therapeutic conditions beyond general use.
How does Botox work?
Botox reduces wrinkles and other facial creases by temporarily removing movement in the targeted facial muscles. It does this by blocking signals from the nerves to the muscles which prevent them from contracting. Since the injected muscles no longer contract, this relaxes and softens the wrinkles to create a youthful appearance.
How is the procedure performed?
Botox is injected with a microneedle into the muscle or targeted areas depending on your individual needs. Injecting botox takes only a few minutes and they do not require numbing or anesthesia.
What does Botox treat?
- Laughter Lines/ Crow’s Feet
- Forehead lines caused by frowning
- Gummy smile
- Helps slim the face and prevent teeth grinding by injecting into masseter muscles
- Helps reduce the appearance of “orange peel” chin by injecting into the chin
- Injected into the platysmal bands and horizontal bands of the neck with the use of microinjections
- Hyperhidrosis ( excessive underarm sweating)
- Chronic Migraines
- Overactive Bladders
- Strabismus ( both eyes pointing in different directions)
- Severe neck and shoulder spasms caused by cervical dystonia
How long does Botox last?
The effects from Botox can last from up to 3-5 months and it takes around 2 weeks for the full effects of the botox injections to show up. Depending on the individual, botox effects can last longer in the 4-6 month range, or shorter in the 2-3 month range. It is common for first time users to notice the botox effects may not last long compared to their peers that have been on a regular regimen.
At Ascends Med Spa our clinicians are trained in advanced techniques to extend the life of botox to maximize outcomes.
What are the side effects of Botox?
- Temporary bruising and swelling are the most common side effect
- Headaches that are transient in nature, which resolve within 2-3 days
- A certain percentage of patients experience drooping of the eyebrow and eyelid drooping, which are temporary and usually resolve within a few weeks
Post Botox Treatment Care-
- The upright position should be maintained for at least 4 hours following the treatment
- Refrain from exercise or increased physical activity for at least 6 hours
- Refrain from the sauna and/or massage treatments for 24 hours
- Avoid picking, rubbing, and/or irritating the injection sites
- Avoid applying any facial peels or harsh beauty products directly to the injection sites
Is Botox right for me?
If you are an adult with moderate to severe glabellar lines (11s), crow’s feet, forehead lines, and/or any other fine lines or creases this treatment of injections might be right for you. At Ascends Med Spa, our clinicians will discuss the benefits and risks of the treatment during your consultation
DO NOT take BOTOX if you are allergic to botulinum toxin or any other ingredients in botox, and/or have active skin infections at the planned injection site.